Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Roseola....

Whew- what a long few days we've had! Oliver woke up on Friday morning with a REALLY high fever. No other symptoms, except fatigue and extreme crankiness. I know sometimes babies run fevers, so I tried to relax about it all, and comfort him. After two sleepless nights, reminiscient of our colic days (only with a baby weighing 26 lbs+ instead of 6-10lbs), our doctor saw us for an emergency visit on Sunday (again AWESOME pediatricians!). Oliver had vomited a few times, but it was always when his temp went up to 104, so the doctor thought it was due to the high fever, not a stomach bug. I started to get nervous when she found NOTHING as a source of infection. Everything I'd read said the only time to worry was when there were no other symptoms besides the fever! She offered to give Ollie a test to see if might be a bladder infection (read: catherizing my already hysterical baby), but said it was highly unlikely- thank goodness I opted out of that one.
Anyhow- she said her only thought was something called Roseola. We'd only know if when the fever broke he developed a rash everywhere. In the meantime, she doubled his dose of Motrin, and that helped a lot.
Monday I had a commercial shoot (SO hard to go to with Ollie not feeling well, but necessary for us financially), and by the time I returned home, Oliver's fever had broken, and Grammy and Dada noticed the rash on Oliver's head. This morning, it had spread over his torso and back. The fever is gone, but not the crankiness! At least he is sleeping and eating, and (I think!) on the road to recovery. Can everyone say a small prayer that POSSIBLY Violet might not catch this one?

Saturday was Ben and I's fifth anniversary! Of course, with one of us pacing with a sick boy, and the other playing with the well girl, we weren't able to celebrate. We hope to make up for it this coming weekend, with a movie (our last trip to the movie theater was April of 2007. Seriously.) and a meal.

I'm going to add some photos of the sick boy, just to commemorate the occasion.


could I love this sweet face any more?

No comments:

Post a Comment