














OK, finally getting around to writing about this! I can't believe my babies are two. SO bittersweet. On one hand, it seems they were just born yesterday; on the other, it's hard to imagine my life before they were here!
We celebrated this year with a small pizza and cupcake get-together at Grammy's house. The babies had a great time playing with their cousins and friends and eating their Elmo and Cookie Monster cupcakes!
The babies are BUSIER than ever!
They are becoming very independent- wanting to do things for themselves BY themselves, which is exciting to watch. The best part is that I feel like they're really starting to understand me. Instead of a complete meltdown when it's time to get in the car seats, I can (sometimes) keep the cool by explaining in general terms where we're going, and they can figure out that they need to get in the car seat for that to happen. LOVE this age.My favorite moments of the day now:
1. wake-up time. Violet is a little slow to get moving (much like her mama), so she and I snuggle on the couch with our respective morning beverages watching her favorite show Oobi. Oliver practically leaps out of his crib, bounces out of my arms and rediscovers his toys like they've all been replaced over night. Both are adorable to watch.
2. after dinner time: Both babies get a little surge of energy, and play the chase game. They're usually nearly-to-completely nude, as they are THE messiest eaters in the world, and giddy with late-night (um, for us) hijinx. Usually Violet runs from the kitchen to the living room, and Oliver takes this as an invitation and chases her. Sometimes he tags her, but usually once she sees he's chasing her, she turns around and runs back into the kitchen. This continues, and they laugh hysterically.
3. backyard time: Oliver has become Mark Spitz- LOVES his baby pool. Jumps in with his clothes on, bringing in his fire truck, boats, etc. So sweet. Violet loves drawing outside, and is very creative with it. Chalk is her medium of choice, but she's figured out that if she dunks the chalk in water (a la baby pool), she can practically paint on the patio with it! Genius!! Messy, but a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.
Tough times:
1. Still very tough times fighting over toys. Even when we have two of things (and we NEVER buy one of anything anymore...), they often just want the same exact thing. Oliver screams, Violet sobs, Oliver pushes and shoves, Violet bites. Ugh. I try to explain sharing and "trading", but it is TOUGH.
2. I often feel guilty that I can't DO more with them, physically. We have great playgrounds and parks around us, but I just can't do it alone. The babies love to slide, play, go in the sand, climb, but most of all, they love to RUN. They are fast and they rarely run in the same direction. On my last trip alone to the Please Touch Museum, by the end of our visit (um, an hour) Violet was shoulder-deep in the water table, Oliver was trying to crawl backwards down the stairs, and I was a ball of sweat, trying to figure out who to grab first. Just dangerous! I hope they aren't missing out on too much, being twins.
Finally, my new favorite show: "Raising Sextuplets". This woman is amazing!! She has SIX babies (about O and V's age), and is so calm, relaxed and grateful for everything. She is my new inspiration. If she can do it and stay cool with six (and train for a triathlon?!), and I can SURELY do it with two. Minus the exercise, thanks.


No comments:
Post a Comment