Tuesday, February 12, 2008

a little update..

Just wanted to write (while both babies are napping!) about something funny that happened the other day. We've been shifting things around a bit upstairs, as it's apparent to us all that our babies won't be able to share a room (poor sleeper and screamer do not slumber well together). To make a long story short, we've moved Violet into our room in front, Oliver is in the original nursery and Ben and I are in the minuscule office in the back, which has no heat (thus no baby sleeping in it!). Violet's new room will also be the "playroom" of sorts, where the babies can hang out while mom does some things on the second or third floors. Anyhow- the other day, after they'd woken from a nap, they were playing on the floor in that room, and I had run up the third floor to get something, and I heard a wail from Oliver- true anguish, not just discontent. I race back down the stairs, and see Violet holding a huge chunk of Ollie's beautiful red mohawked hair (still attached to his head) in her fist! He is sobbing.... and she's smiling, as if she's found a great new plaything.

I do know this is only the beginning.

Ollie and Violet have really been interacting a lot lately- we LOVE it- so cute to watch! We're trying to start early with words like "Gentle!" ("Gentle with brother's ear!" "Gentle biting on sister's arm!"), and "Share" (which people say they won't know anything BUT sharing, but I can already see that Violet wants the toy Oliver has, and vice versa).

The BEST news of the week, by far, is the new addition to our family: our new DISHWASHER!!! I never thought I'd be the type of woman who would weep over a kitchen appliance. It was a beautiful, amazing gift from Popi and Grampa; and gave US the gift of more time with our babies.
Ben and I figured out that we've washed nearly 3000 bottles (read: bottles, nipples, caps, rims), and that's not counting the two months spent pumping, which adds an additional 16 bottles a day, multiplied by two months, plus pumping tubing....ugh! Add on to that the sterilizing part, which means putting all the paraphernalia into the four special bags with 2 1/3 cups of water and microwaving it for 2 minutes and 25 seconds EVERY DAY FOR SEVEN MONTHS...can you see where the tears of gratitude come from now?

The first night I stacked all the bottle stuff into the dishwasher, added soap and turned it on, I literally kissed the dishwasher on its lid three times. Then I went in the living room and played with the babies- how awesome is that??


okay..one photo...Ollie doing a little light reading, Violet doing a little kicking, and everyone admiring the new dishwasher!

No comments:

Post a Comment